Health & Wellness

Health & Wellness

College is a transformative time in your life, and in attending Clarkson University, you're here to build your experiences, résumé and connections in preparation for your career.

We understand that you may need support, be it a reprieve from nose-to-the-grindstone studying, someone to talk to or academic assistance. Our Student Health and Counseling Center and our Recreation and Fitness facilities are here to help you stay on track mentally and physically. Whether you're looking to get in a good workout or discuss a mental health issue with a counselor, we're committed to giving you the tools you need to thrive and succeed.

Contacting & Scheduling an Appointment with Health and Counseling Services

Students can set up an appointment at SHAC by email at, calling (315) 268-6633, or in person. We are located on the first floor of ERC, Suite 1300. The Health Center does accept same day appointments for urgent health concerns, and the Counseling Center does offer crisis/urgent appointments for those in need of urgent mental health services.

If you have questions about Student Health and Counseling or Recreation and Fitness, contact us today.

Director of Counseling: Coreen Bohl 
Director of Student Health: Kelsie Fournier, MSPAS, PA-C 
Phone: 315-268-6633 
Health Center Fax: 315-268-6448 
Counseling Fax: 315-268-3798

Recreation and Fitness
Intramurals and Club Sports Liaison: Erik Whitcombe 
Phone: 315-268-5954

Director, Fitness Center (Personal Training): Kelly Norman 
Phone: 315-268-3768

Operations Manager (Memberships): Marjorie Meashaw 
Phone: 315-268-6622

Recreation and Fitness Facilities

Take some time for yourself — staying active is a great way to keep healthy and reduce stress. Send it on the three-story climbing wall at the Yianoukos Fitness Center, get in a cardio workout or weight training or engage in some friendly intramural competition on the basketball courts at Schuler.

Be a Good Sport

You don't have to be a varsity athlete to appreciate the thrill of competition. Our 28 club sports and 23 intramural leagues and tournaments give you a chance to go head-to-head with students from Clarkson and even other schools.

Intramural and Club Sports

Fitness Classes

Take kettlebell or total body strength classes, or get one-on-one instruction with a personal trainer. Options for all ability levels are available.

See the Class Schedule

Student Health and Counseling Services

Email Student Health and Counseling Services (SHAC) at or call 315-268-6633 to make an appointment. You may also stop by SHAC in the ERC to request an appointment.

SHAC can refer students to the St. Lawrence Health system for lab and X-ray orders.

Hours (during the academic year): Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Hours (during the summer): Monday–Friday, generally 8 a.m.–4 p.m.

  • Allergy injections*
  • Continued management of chronic conditions
  • Evaluation for illness or injury
  • Health education and counseling
  • Immunizations (MMR, Tdap, PPD)*
  • Influenza vaccination, offered through a local partnership clinic throughout the fall semester
  • Mental health psychotropic medication management
  • Physicals*
  • Preexposure Prophylaxis (PREP)* (there is a fee for lab testing)
  • Referrals
  • STD and HIV testing and treatment*
  • Travel consults
  • Women's health, including gynecological care, birth control and emergency contraception*

* Indicates fee for service. Please call 315-268-6633 for additional information.

Counseling Services can help you with these and more:

  • Anxiety
  • Adjustment to change
  • Body image and eating disorders
  • Coping with the death of someone you care about
  • Depression
  • Gender identity
  • Relationship issues
  • Self-esteem
  • Sexual assault or harassment
  • Sexuality
  • Stress management
  • Substance abuse

If you require immediate assistance, please call campus safety at 315-268-6666 or call 911.

Health-Related Crisis

Life-threatening health emergencies should report directly to the nearest emergency room. If you are experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency or require transport by ambulance, please call 911 or Campus Safety and Security at 315-268-6666.

For non-life-threatening concerns, call SHAC to schedule an appointment with a medical provider.

Counseling/Mental Health Crisis

Counseling Services can see individuals in crisis who require an immediate appointment during normal business hours.

Campus Safety and area coordinators can reach counselors 24/7 for mental health emergencies. If you wish to speak with a counselor after hours about an urgent, confidential and/or sensitive issue, ask either an area coordinator or a Campus Safety officer (315-268-6666), and say that you need to speak with a counselor regarding a confidential matter. No further information needs to be divulged.

Information for New Students

All health requirements are completed through our Patient Portal. Paper forms are not accepted. Your list of required items can be found on the "To Do" list through your PeopleSoft account.

These items are required:

Proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella (Required for all students)

You must have an official copy of your immunization history; copies of booklets are not accepted. The immunization record must be in English. New York State requires students born on or after January 1, 1957, to submit proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. You must have either two MMR vaccinations or two measles and one mumps and rubella vaccination. Those born prior to January 1, 1957, must have one dose of MMR or serology proof of immunity.

COVID vaccinations are not required to attend Clarkson University but are recommended

Specific programs may require COVID-19 vaccinations. Students in the Health Sciences Department, for example, must be vaccinated to participate in external programs with different hospital systems. Please contact your program directly if you're unsure whether you need COVID vaccination.

Tuberculosis (TB) screening form (required for all students)

This form must be completed and electronically signed by a student over 18 or a parent/legal guardian. If Interferon-Gamma Release Assay (IGRA) bloodwork is required, the lab results must be uploaded. If the results of the IGRA bloodwork are positive or indeterminate, you must have a chest X-ray before you arrive on campus and upload the radiology results.

Please note: PPDs are only accepted for graduate health professions; all other students must complete IGRA bloodwork if required. (If IGRA bloodwork is required and not completed prior to admission, students will be charged $110; if a chest X-ray is required and not completed prior to arrival, the cost will be charged to the student).

Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form (required for all students who have not been vaccinated)

Students who have not received a meningitis vaccination within the last five years must complete this form. If the student is under 18, it must be signed by a parent/guardian. This form is required under New York State Public Health Law.

Insurance information

Health insurance coverage is mandatory at Clarkson University for non-distance program students. Students must have health insurance through their parent/guardian’s policy, their own policy or Clarkson’s plan. If you do not have health insurance, please call Student Achievement Services (SAS) at 315-268-6451 to purchase the college plan.

Medical History Questionnaire (optional)

Clarkson University works hard to ensure the health and safety of its students. Information regarding your past and present health is important for attaining this goal. Students in a graduate Health Professions program, ROTC or athletics must complete a physical.

Additional Requirements for Graduate Health Professions (PA, PT and OT Programs)

  • Varicella: Two immunizations or positive titer results.
  • Tdap vaccine: Within 10 years.
  • Hep B: Three immunizations or positive titer results.
  • Physical: Must be required prior to clinical work. Please contact the Health Center at 315-268-6633 before you complete this requirement.
  • PPD: A two-step PPD will be required prior to clinical work. Please contact the Health Center at 315-268-6633 before you complete this requirement.

Can students be seen at SHAC on a "walk-in" basis?

Yes. You can stop by or make an appointment ahead of time by calling 315-268-6633.

What if a student needs medical attention when SHAC is closed?

For non-emergency medical attention, students are directed to The Urgent Care Center (49 Lawrence Ave., Potsdam), open daily from 8 a.m.–8 p.m., or the CPH Afterhours Clinic (80 E. Main St., Canton). The clinic is approximately 11 miles from campus and is open Monday–Friday, 4 p.m.–9 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. and Sunday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.

For emergency medical attention, students are referred to the Canton-Potsdam Hospital Emergency Room (50 Leroy Street, Potsdam), approximately one mile from the Clarkson campus.

Please note: Billing for The Urgent Care Center, CPH Afterhours Clinic and Canton-Potsdam Hospital is not associated with Clarkson University, and you may encounter a charge if you do not have accepted medical insurance coverage.

If I have a prescription, can I get it filled at SHAC?

No, we do not fill prescriptions at SHAC. If you have a prescription to be filled, the local pharmacies are Kinney Drugs, Walgreens or Walmart, all within five miles of campus, or Price Chopper in Canton, approximately 11 miles away.

SHAC can refill some common prescriptions for local pickup. For information about refilling them during the academic year, please call 315-268-6633.

Will my parents be notified if I have been to SHAC or if I am sick?

No. Treatment obtained at SHAC is confidential, and we will only discuss your visit with the individual(s) listed on a consent form signed by the student receiving services.

Are there any recommended health-related items students should bring to Clarkson University?

Yes, students will need to bring any ongoing prescription medications.

We also recommend the following health-related items:

  • Ace bandage
  • Band-Aids
  • Cough and cold medication
  • Fever reducer/pain reliever medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen
  • Health insurance card or copy
  • Reusable cold packs
  • Thermometer

Is there any cost for counseling services?

There is no additional cost for students to see our counselors.

Can parents talk to the counselor about their son/daughter?

Parents can contact us to ask questions about our services. However, students must contact us directly to request an appointment. Federal confidentiality laws prevent us from sharing any information about a particular student without the student's written permission.

Can a student get psychopharmacological medications through SHAC?

The health and counseling staff at SHAC can work together to assess the need for medications to address mental health concerns. SHAC offers a number of options for students who may benefit from medication related to their mental health. These may include in-person evaluations and prescriptions from one of our medical practitioners on campus or telehealth meetings with a psychiatric nurse practitioner through our online partner, Mantra.

Can you make referrals to outside private practitioners?

SHAC staff refers to both local outside private practitioners, as well as professionals local to the student’s home community. In St. Lawrence County, there are limited psychiatric services available to students, but the staff makes every effort to connect a student to the best resources available.

We are legally and ethically obligated to protect every student’s right to privacy.

Health and counseling records are strictly confidential and maintained in compliance with federal and New York State laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

We will not release information to anyone outside the Center, including family, parent/legal guardians, Clarkson University faculty/staff or outside agencies, without written authorization from the student, unless required by law.

In a medical emergency, only relevant health information will be released to another healthcare provider. If a student wishes to have their records released to another provider, authorization forms are available at the center.

For specific questions, please call the Student Health and Counseling Center.

Crisis Services

If you require immediate assistance please call campus safety at (315) 268-6666 or call 911.

Health Related Crisis

Life threatening health emergencies should report directly to the nearest emergency room, and, may require transport by ambulance to the nearest emergency room. If you are experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency, please call 911, or campus safety and security (315-268-6666)

For non-life threatening concerns you may schedule an appointment to be evaluated by a medical provider at SHAC. 

Counseling/Mental Health Crisis

During normal business hours, counseling services has crisis hours set aside for individuals who need to be seen the same day.  If an you need to be seen immediately, due to a crisis situation, a counselor will be made available. Counselors are on call 24/7 at the request of campus safety and the area coordinators for mental health emergencies. If you wish to speak with a counselor after hours about an urgent, confidential and/or sensitive issue you can make a request to either the area coordinators or to a campus safety officer and only need to indicate that you need to speak with a counselor regarding a confidential matter.  No further information need be divulged.

CTA Block